Summiting the Gokyo Ri only needs Sagarmatha National park entry permit and pasang Lhamu municipality entry permit.
Hiking to Gokyo Ri offers the exceptional views of lakes, glaciers and mountains. Mountains over 8000 meters including Mount Everest, Cho Oyu, Mount Lhotse, Mount Makalu and many others peaks below 8000 meters are the major attraction of this hike. You can find total of 19 lakes during the hike including the famous Gokyo Lake.
Many hikers insist that summit of Gokyo Ri provides more exceptional views of mountains and the surrounding than of popular Kalapatthar. Kalapatthar is also the best place to view the panoramic views of mountains but in hiker’s eyes, from the top of Gokyo Ri the view is better.
Gokyo Ri hike can also be merged with the famous Everest Base Camp Trek. This hike is considered to be an ideal choice for both the experience and startup/beginner hikers.
Getting in there and return back?
The initiation of Gokyo Ri hike begins from a scenic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. Lukla is also considered to be one of the most adventure airport around the globe.
The trail from Lukla takes the hikers across the popular Sherpa village of Everest region including Phakding, Namche, Dole and Machhermo.
Following the trail from Machhermo will take the hikers towards to the famous Gokyo lake to view the fresh water lake including many others lakes and summit of Gokyo Ri.
The hikers will be heading back following the same trail and get back to Lukla. From Lukla the hikers will take a flight to Kathmandu.
About Self Guided Gokyo Ri Hike
This hike is specially constructed for the hikers who want to travel solo but needs the information about the routes and want to hike with pre – booking of accommodation facilities.
Self – Guided Gokyo Ri hike will take you to the top of Gokyo Ri through satellite phone. All the information about the routes and major attraction are notified through the satellite phone by phone guide.
Are you looking for other trips than Gokyo Ri Hike?
Nepalgram Adventure can help you with the filter below. Select the right destination and activity of your interest to find the best trip to Nepal.
Nepalgram Adventure will arrange your accommodation in teahouse/hotel/ lodges and provides you the phone guide who will provide entire necessary information about the Gokyo Ri hike clearly and communicate well.
Porter during the Gokyo Ri hike is not included. But, if you think you cannot carry your stuff in high altitude then we can make an arrangement of strong and helpful porter.
NOTE: If you want to choose Guided Trip to Gokyo Ri rather than Self – Guided. Feel free to contact us.
Difficulty and Recommendation for Gokyo Ri Hike?
Gokyo Ri hike falls under moderate hike to do in Nepal where there is no requirement of technical skills. Hikers are recommended to engage in the activities like jogging, swimming and cycling before the Gokyo Ri hike.
This is because walking an average of 5-6 hours a day can be difficult for some of the hikers and engaging in these kinds of activities can make the hikers ease during the hike.
You will be hiking to the elevation of 5357 meters and spending the night over 4000 meters can lead to Acute Mountain Sickness. So, to get away from this kind of problems, hikers are recommended not to rush and walk slowly in the trail.
The trail is moderate where you will be hiking uphill and downhill. The trail to Gokyo Ri is suitable for both the beginner and professional trekkers.
The hikers are recommended to carry the essential equipment’s like the down jacket, waterproof jacket, sleeping bag and gears to avoid the difficulties because the weather is unpredictable.
- Day 1 – Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla and hike to Phakding (2640 meters); 25 minutes flight, 3 hours hike
- Day 2 – Hike from Lukla to Namche (3440 meters), 6/7 hours
- Day 3 – Acclimatize and Explore around Namche
- Day 4 – Hike from Namche to Dole (4040 meters); 5 hours
- Day 5 – Hike from Dole to Machhermo (3820 meters); 5/6 hours
- Day 6 – Hike from Machhermo to Gokyo valley (4470 meters); 4/5 hours
- Day 7 – Hike from Gokyo valley to Gokyo Ri and back to Gokyo (5357); 4 hours
- Day 8 – Hike back to dole; 5 hours
- Day 9 – Hike from dole to Namche; 5 hours
- Day 10 – Hike from Namche to Lukla; 7 hours
- Day 11 – Fly back from Lukla to Kathmandu; 25 minutes flight
More destination from Nepal
Explore Nepal with us – to the deep in those nook and corners of Nepal Himalaya. Suggestions other than Gokyo Ri Hike.
Major Things to see at Gokyo Ri Hike
- Scenic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and Vice – versa
- Explore Namche Bazzar
- Hiking through the trail of Sherpa villages
- Explore Gokyo lake and surrounding lakes
- Explore the flora and fauna of Everest region
- Scenic view of surrounding during the hike
- Monastery and Gumbas
- Panoramic views of mountains including the world highest Mount Everest (8848.86 meters)