- Tourist bus/Jeep-Car-Plane
- 5545 meter / 18188 feet
- Somewhat Active
- Autumn (March to May) & Autumn (Aug to Nov)
- In Person
- Base Camp Trek
Phaplu Everest base camp trek starts with traveling to the trek start point overland, on everest base camp road. Also, famous as road to Everest base camp & travel from Kathmandu to Salleri, skips the flight to Lukla.
Everest base camp by road is not only safe way of travelling to EBC but also the beauty of lower trail section from phaplu to Lukla (or salleri to Lukla ) gives insights of local culture tradition, while trekking along the local villages.
Phaplu Everest base camp trek do not start its first day inside the Sagarmatha national park; as of Lukla to Ebc trek, but after walking few days from salleri to namche bazaar will meet the same trail of Everest base camp trek with flight to Lukla .
One who chooses to start trekking from Phplu or salleri will see the less crowded trekking trail of lower Everest region. Trekkers will get their private time to adjust with the weather of Nepal and will help them to acclimatize more. Unlike to trekkers doing trekking with flight to Lukla, you will be able to see both domestic animals and the wild ones.
The change in the lifestyle, culture, faces and tradition of people of lower Everest trail will drastically change after phaplu to Lukla or salleri to Lukla part of Phaplu salleri to Everest base camp trekking trail.
Phaplu to everest base camp trek is long trekking, in comparison to Lukla to EBC trek, however it acclimatize you well and help you to trek to base camp without flight to Lukla .
Trekking from phaplu to namche bazaar will not be demanding trek but after ascending above 4000 meters, trekking slow listening to your body will certainly help you to succeed the Everest base camp trek skipping flight to Lukla. If you want to know about phaplu to Lukla trek trail or salleri to Lukla trekking route for your adventure in Nepal, please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Salleri to Everest base camp trek can be a best choice of EBC trek, if you have enough time. phaplu to Everest base camp trek can be customized as per your need, from luxury trek or homestay experiences in between phaplu to Lukla trekking trail section.
The airport of Lukla is considered as one of the dangerous airport of the world, that is why people do not want to fly to Lukla instead they want to trek from Phplu and start the Everest base camp trek overland. Even though, Kathmandu to Lukla flight is not that scary but people do not like this flight, they often choose longer trek over flying to Lukla. Phaplu Everest base camp Trek has many bright sides from exploration prospective as well.
But soon in the future the road connectivity will go all the way to Lukla and trekking to Everest base camp can be either overland or by air; but both of them will start form the village of Lukla at the khumbu Himalaya range of Nepal, in near future.
For now, for the phaplu Everest base camp trek – one drives from Kathmandu to salleri by tourist bus. Also, there are jeeps from Kathmandu to salleri. Salleri is the capital city of Solukhumbu district, whereas Everest base camp lies in this district of Solukhumbu.
How would Everest base camp trek without flight to Lukla comes true?
Government of Nepal is planning to connect all the headquarters of district to connect to the capital by road connectivity. Because of this plan of government, places like salleri are getting connected with the black topped road. Because of this we can drive to phaplu/salleri from Kathmandu by jeep or by bus.
This ride is about 6-8 hours. Till 2019 there is no more option than starting trek from Phaplu, even though there are roads till Adheri village – this is seasonal roads. Jeep goes all the way to Adheri and shortens a day trek but it is not easy road, I rather prefer to start to walk from Phaplu itself.
Daily activity schedule for phaplu Everest base camp trek
• 6 to 8 hours drive
• Black topped road (jeep or tourist bus)
• 7 hours trekking
• Tea house/homestay accommodation
• 6 hours 30 minutes trekking duration
• Pass by villages and forest
• Surkey is Sherpa village right at the bottom of Lukla
• 7 hours trek
• Tea house accommodation
• 9 hours trek
• Meets ebc trekker with flight to Lukla
• Nice accommodation
• Famous Monastery of the region – at Tengboche
• Tengboche at 3870meters
• Greater view of Everest
• Cross 4000 meters – Dingboche at 4400 meters
• Hidden valley
• Rest & acclimatization day
• 5 hours trekking duration
• Dingboche at 4400 meters and we hike up to 4800 meters – at least – sleep at 4400 at Dingboche
• 3 hours of trekking
• Easy day
• No tree line
• 5 hours walk
• Cross 5000 meters
• Memorials of Everest demises
• Trek for 9 hours in (Lobuche – Gorakshep – Ebc trail)
• Sleep above 5k, Gorakshep at 5170meters
• EBC day – day of the mission
• View of Ebc, Khumbu ice fall and Khumbu glacier from the top of Kalapatthar
• 7 hours trekking
• 5545 meters at the top of Kalapatthar
• Sunrise hike
• Downhill walk – mission accomplished
• Back to 3700 meters at Phortse
• Mountaineers village – village of Everest summiteer
• 5 hours trek downhill – narrow trail
• 7 hours
• Downhill trekking
• Back to main trail of everest base camp trekking trail
• 7 hours trek
• Final push of your trekking
• 25 minutes flight
• Early morning flight
• Take off from lukla is never an issue for Lukla airport being worlds dangerous airport.